Linenhall Terrace
Connecting Linenhall Parade to Coleraine Street, through the site of the old Linen Hall Barracks. Named at the same time and for the same reason as Linenhall Parade — see that entry for the full history.¹
Connecting Linenhall Parade to Coleraine Street, through the site of the old Linen Hall Barracks. Named at the same time and for the same reason as Linenhall Parade — see that entry for the full history.¹
Linenhall Parade was built in the mid-1920s on the site of the Linen Hall Barracks, itself built alongside the eighteenth-century Linen Hall, once the centre of Dublin’s linen trade. The barracks was burned out in 1916, and the site lay derelict for almost a decade afterwards.¹ In September 1925 the Corporation agreed to take a…
Copeland Avenue, running from the Malahide Road to the Howth Road, has its origins in the plans for a main road to run from Whitehall to the Howth Road. In August 1925 the Corporation Commissioners1 considered a motion for the compulsory purchase of as ‘much of the land lying between Philipsburgh Avenue and Drumcondra Road as…
The former name of Castleforbes Road, renamed in 1924..
Running from the North Wall to Sheriff Street, Castleforbes Road was originally called ‘Fish Street’. The street dates from the mid-eighteenth century, appearing as ‘Fish Street’ on a map of 1757.1 The name likely derives from some association with fishing: perhaps fish were off-loaded at that part of the quays? Although it was listed in…
Running parallel to George’s Street, Drury Street dates to the mid-17th century. It appears on De Gomme’s map of 1673 as ‘Little Butter Lane1 and as ‘Little Boater Lane’ on Rocque’s map of 1756.2 That name, and its various later forms, derives from the Irish An Bóthar Beag (‘the little road’). An Bóthar Beag remains…
One of the grandest roads on the north side, Griffith Avenue was laid out in the 1920s, and had its origins in the ‘100 foot road’, part of the Marino Housing scheme.1 ln August 1925 the Corporation Commissioners2 considered a motion for the compulsory purchase of as ‘much of the land lying between Philipsburgh Avenue…
Previously called Carey’s Lane, this street off Ballybough Road, near Ballybough Bridge, was renamed because of the hostility that the name ‘Carey’ attracted from being borne by the notorious informer James Carey, one of the Invincibles. (The name had no link with Carey himself.) James Carey (1845–1883) was a Dublin-born builder and leading Fenian who…
A previous name of Sarsfield Quay, renamed in 1885. Pembroke Quay is shown, unnamed, on Rocque’s map, but appears in Harris’s History and Antiquities2 and in Scalé’s 1773 revision of Rocque.2 M’Cready suggests, plausibly, that the name was from Thomas Herbert, 8th Earl of Pembroke, who was Lord Lieutenant (1707-8).3
The original name of Hill Street, it was renamed in 1886 at the request of the residents, as it had gained a ‘disreputable character’. The street dates to the 1770s,1 and appears named on the Rocque/Scalé map of 1773.2 The name comes (presumably) from the eponymous property developer.3 M’Cready gives no derivation. I’ve seen suggestions…
Off Summerhill, Hill Street was formerly called Temple Street Lower. Dating from the 1770s, by 1885 this part of Temple Street had gained a poor reputation. In that year the Corporation’s Paving Committee reported that it had received: [M]emorials from the inhabitants and owners of house property in Upper Temple-street and Lower Temple-street, praying that…
The original name of what is now Railway Street.
A former name of Saint Mary’s Terrace, renamed in 1884.
The original name of Beresford Lane. M’Cready gives, what he admits is, an uncertain explanation for the name,1 but we can be confident that it derives from the owners of the land. In 1721 the Corporation leased land on the nearby Mabbot Street from John Moland.2 In 1780 a Richard Moland was in possession of…
The original name of Bolton Parade, changed in 1894.
The original name of Aston Place, changed in 1884.
Halliday Road is one of several streets laid out in 1906/07 on the northern end of the Mount Temple Estate lands, in Stonybatter.1 The streets were developed by the Dublin Artisans’ Dwelling Company who, in 1907, submitted proposed names for the streets to the Corporation’s Paving Committee. The name proposed for this street was ‘Plantation…
‘Plantation Road’ was the name originally proposed by the Dublin Artisans’ Dwellings Company for ‘Halliday Road‘, Stonybatter.
On the Royal Canal, running from Newcomen Bridge to Clarke’s Bridge, Charleville Mall was laid out in the 1820s. By 1829 it was developed enough for houses to be advertised for letting. Described has having the ‘double advantage of a town and country residence’, the fact that the street was outside the City was a…
Foster Street was the name given, until the 1890s, to different parts of Ballybough Road. M’Cready gives 1849 as the date, but it appears as early as 1832 in a newspaper report, applied to the houses to the north of Clarke Bridge, as far as to what is now Foster Terrace.1 The first entry in…
The original name of Balfe Street. Named for William Pitt the Younger, son of the first Earl of Chatham, from whom comes Chatham Street. Pitt, as Prime Minister, was the chief architect of the the Act of Union (1801).
Formerly ‘Pitt Street’, this is one of two streets in Dublin named for Michael William Balfe (1808–70), composer and musician, best known for his opera ‘The Bohemian Girl’, and the aria ‘I dreamt I dwelt in Marble Halls’. (The other is Balfe Road, Walkinstown.) Originally part of Harry Street,1 it became its own street, as…
One of two previous names for James Joyce Street, renamed from Mabbot Street in 1911, the name derived from “Corporation Buildings”, which stood on the street,
One of two previous names for James Joyce Street. The name derived from Gilbert Mabbot, who built a mill at the location in the late 1600s.1
A former name of Sackville Avenue, off Ballybough Road. Shown as Bradley’s Lane on a map of 1794,1 it was called Love Lane as early as 1828.2
A former name of Sackville Avenue, it appears as Bradley’s Lane in a map of 1794.1 It was called ‘Love Lane’ as early as 18282 and the directory for 1834 says ‘Love Lane’, as does the first edition Ordnance Survey. The name derived from Joseph Love, under whose will Love’s Charity was established.
Originally named Bradley’s Lane,1 this street in Ballybough was called Love Lane as early as 1828.2 That name derived from Joseph Love, under whose will Love’s Charity was founded. It first appeared in the street directories in 1834 as having two premises,3 but by 1850 there were seventeen tenements on the street.4 In 1874, the…
One of four streets off Phibsborough Road named for the four provinces of Ireland, Ulster Street was developed in the late 1890s. In October 1897 the Corporation’s Waterworks Committee directed that the ‘main in Ulster Street shall be extended for the purpose of supplying some new houses which have been directed there’.1 First listed in…
Also Faussaght lane: the original name of Connaught Street.
Off Phibsborough Road, this is one of four streets, forming, more-or-less, a square, named for the four provinces of Ireland. It’s shown on Taylor’s map of 1816 as Forsagh Lane,1 and as Faussagh Lane on the various editions of the Ordnance Survey.2 It’s first listed in Thom’s, as Faussaght Lane, in 1850, with 50 small…
One of four streets in Phibsborough named for the four provinces of Ireland. Described as ‘newly made’ in 1883, this street was laid out in the late 1870s, with the houses at the Phibsborough end being occupied by 1881. In June that year, a ‘comfortable front room‘ set as a sitting room and bedroom was…
Dunluce Road, off the Howth Road, at the junction with Castle Avenue, was built in the 1930s on the lands to the south of Furry Park House.1 The builder was Joseph McGonagle, who also built houses on Mount Prospect Avenue2 and Griffith Avenue.3 In 1940 McGonagle was sued by one of the purchasers of the…
No longer in existence, Waterford Street was the last name given to the street running from Marlborough Street to Gardiner Street. See the entry for Railway Street for the history.
A former name for the part of Railway Street that runs from Marlborough Street to Gardiner Street.
One of several former names for Railway Street. In 1761/2 the street was named ‘Mecklenburgh Street’, in honour, as M’Cready says, of Princess Sophia Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz,2 who in 1761 married King George III. She went on to become the United Kingdom’s longest serving Queen Consort, and to be played by Helen Mirren. (The gone-but-not-forgotten Charlotte…
Laid out in the early 1700s, this street was named ‘Mabbot Street’ as early as 1721, when it was reported that complaints had been received from residents of the Strand about ‘… the dirt and filth of the streets and markets being laid down there by the city carts, which doth occasion a great stench,…
For a small, residential street in Dublin 1, Railway Street has had more names than most streets in the city. Mecklenburgh Street Originally know as Martin’s Lane or Great Martin’s Lane,1 the street originally consisted of two stretches, the ‘upper’ part from Marlborough Street to Gardiner Street, and the ‘lower’ part from from there to…
One of several streets in this estate, named after the townland on which the houses were built. For the history of the estate see the entry for Kilmore Close.
One of several streets in this estate, named after the townland on which the houses were built. For the history of the estate see the entry for Kilmore Close.
One of several streets in this estate, for the history of which see the entry for Kilmore Close. Called ‘crescent’, this street is laid out in a completely straight line, making it one of the most stupid street names that I’ve come across. My theory is that the names for this street and that of…
West of Coolock village, this is one of several streets in an estate built by the Corporation in the late 1960s. The houses were offered for sale under the ‘tenant purchase scheme’, under which existing Corporation tenants, and people on the housing list, could buy a house, paying back the Corporation in a mortgage-like arrangement.1…
Running west from Annesley Bridge Road, this cul-de-sac, like the nearby Addison Road, was developed between 1897 and 1902 on a plot of land to the north of the Vitriol Works, at Ballybough. I can find no direct evidence for the origin of the name, but I’m assuming it comes from George Henry Cadogan (1840–1915),…
Off the North Strand, at Newcomen Bridge, Ossory Road runs along the railway line on the north bank of the Royal Canal. It remained unnamed until 1882, when Michael Ralph, of North Strand Road, who owned the little property that there was on the road, asked the Corporation to name it ‘Ossory Road’.1 ’Ossory’ presumably…
Beresford Lane, which runs down the side of the old Labour Exchange, formerly Trinity Church, on Lower Gardiner Street, was originally called Moland Street. The street appears to have been constructed in the late 1780s or early 1790s; it’s named on a map of 1798, shown as including all of Frenchman’s Lane, that is on…
A previous name for Cathedral Street.
A name ascribed to Eccles Place, off Dorset Street.
A previous name for Eccles Place.
A laneway running to the rere of the houses on the north side of Eccles Street, this street was listed as ‘Eccles Lane’ by Whitelaw in 1798. As reported by M’Cready, the name comes from John Eccles, Lord Mayor in 1710, who owned property here. Although it appears as ‘Stable Lane’ on Campbell’s Map of…
The original name of Quarry Road, Cabra.
Running from the North Circular Road to Monck Place, Phibsboro, this street was built by the Great Western Railway Company in the late 1870s. In December 1880 the Corporation’s Paving Committee was advised that the ‘new road… [had] been put into such a state of repair as will enable the Corporation to take it in…
The original name of St Mary’s Terrace.
This street, running off St Mary’s Place, Dorset Street, was originally called Walsh’s Row. The street appears on a Wide Streets Commission map of 1827, and first appears in the street directory for 1833. The houses on the street were certainly occupied by 1837. In 1884 the Paving and Lighting Committee of the Corporation was…
A previous name for Nicholas Avenue, Dublin 1. The name derives from John Russell, 4th Duke of Bedford, Lord Lieutenant from 1756-61, and Chancellor of the University of Dublin (Trinity) from 1765-71. See the entry for Nicholas Avenue for the references.
Nicholas Avenue, running west from Church Street to Bow Street, was formerly called Bedford Street, named for John Russell, 4th Duke of Bedford, Lord Lieutenant from 1756-61, and Chancellor of the University of Dublin (Trinity) from 1765-71. The street is shown unnamed on Rocque, but is listed in Harris’s work of 1766. It is shown…
The original name of a terrace of houses on Adelaide Road, renamed Earlsfort Place in 1891.
A name proposed, but not adopted, for Bolton Place, formerly Cross Lane.
This street, off Bolton Street, was originally called Cross Lane, and is shown with that name on Rocque. (There was another Bolton Parade, off Dorset Street, I think.) In 1894, some of the local ratepayers applied to the Corporation to have the name changed to “European Place’. According to the memorialists, the street had ‘for…
One of three streets built off Jones’s Road in the 1880s by William Hall, the other two being Elizabeth Street and Mabel Street. Hall named each of the streets after a member of his family; Robert Street is named after his son, William Robert Hall.
One of three streets off Jones’s Road built by William Hall in the 1880s, the other two being Elizabeth Street and Robert Street. The street is named for William Hall’s daughter, Mabel; she died in Belfast in 1885. Hall died sometime before 1900 (he’s referred to as the ‘Late Mr William Hall’ in the Irish…
Paul Street is named for the Anglican church of Saint Paul, on the grounds of which it was constructed in 1894/95. The church building is extant. The houses here were developed by the Corporation’s Artisans’ Dwellings Committee, the first plans being approved in 1891. The plans were subsequently revised: Paul Street is labeled ‘New Avenue’…
A former name of Donore Avenue, one several streets bore the name Love Lane at various times.
Donore Avenue is one of several streets in the City which at one time bore the name ‘Love Lane’. The street itself dates from as early as the mid-eighteenth century, and it’s shown on Rocque’s map the same year. In 1895 the Corporation’s Paving Committee received, and agreed with, ‘a numerously signed memorial from resident…
See the entry for Chapter Place.
Elizabeth Street is a continuation of Robert Street, running west from Jones’ Road, Drumcondra. I presume that the street is named for the wife of the builder, William Hall, whose name was Elizabeth. The part of the street nearest Robert Street was laid out sometime in the 1880s; people were living on the street by…
Fingal Place, Stonnybatter, was built in 1900/01. The street was named, on the recommendation of the City Surveyor, by the Corporation on 1 April 1901. The name presumably derives from the area being associated with the Vikings, ‘Fingal’, or ‘Fine Gall’, meaning ‘fair strangers’. (See, for example, Olaf Road.) The street was taken in charge…
A previous name for Hutton’s Place.
Killarney Street runs from the Five Lamps to Buckingham Street. It originally formed part of Lower Gloucester Street, now Sean McDermott Street, until it was renamed in 1901. The renaming of the street gives us first-hand evidence of the attitude of the Corporation to the terrible conditions in which large numbers of the inhabitants of…
Florence Street was built on the site of the former City Basin, beside Portobello Gardens, by Mr Frederick Stokes. (See the entry for Victoria Street.) Why ‘Florence’? I’ve no idea.
A previous name for Victoria Street, Portobello.
Originally named ‘Kingsland Park’, this street in Portobello was renamed by the Corporation in 1875. Kingsland Place was built on the grounds of Portobello Gardens. In 1866 the Corporation was asked by Mr Frederick Stokes to take in charge ‘the new streets called Kingsland park and Florence Street, near Portobello’. In October 1871 the Kingsland…
A road built off the East Wall Road in the early 1900s, the name was proposed by the builder, Mr Thomas Archer, and approved by the Corporation on 6 June 1904. There’s no evidence for the derivation of the name; ‘Caledon’ is a townland in County Tyrone, so perhaps there’s a link there? There’s a…
See the entry for Bull Alley Street.
See the entry for Bull Alley Street.
This is one of three streets built between 1894 and 1901 as part of the redevelopment, by the Iveagh Trust, of the area around St Patrick’s Cathedral. In December 1903, the Trust proposed names for the streets to the Corporation The Corporation’s Paving Committee was then told that Lord Iveagh had subsequently written to the…
A former name of Hughes’ Avenue, it’s listed first in Thom’s in 1855, as having eighteen cottages.1 The last entry is in 1875.2
A previous name for Cathedral Street.
A previous name for Lynch’s Lane, renamed in 1904.
Located off the Phibsborough Road, just down from the North Circular Road junction, this was originally called Pinchgut Lane and was renamed in 1905. There’s no evidence of the origin of the name ‘Pinchgut’ (it’s not in M’Cready), but it’s a narrow laneway and maybe it’s a jocular reference to that? When the Paving Committee…
A previous name for Aston Place.
Running from Fleet Street to Aston Quay, the name of this laneway was changed from Lee’s Lane in 1884. The laneway appears as ‘Lees Lane’ in Rocque, and also in a map of 1764. In February 1884, the owners and tenants of houses on the laneway asked the Corporation to change the name to Aston…
Tara Street was built between 1879 and 1884, to link Great Brunswick Street (Pearse Street) to Butt Bridge, which was opened in 1879. The new street was built under the auspices of the Corporation’s Public Health Committee, which reported on its completion in April 1884. The Committee put forward four names for the City Council…
Running from Liffey Street West to Arran Quay, Sarsfield Quay was originally called Pembroke Quay. It was renamed by the Corporation by a resolution on 2 November 1885.1 When the motion was proposed at the meeting, an amendment was put ‘to refer the proposal to the Paving and Lighting Committee to ascertain whether the proposed…
A name proposed, but not adopted, for O’Connell Avenue when it was being renamed in 1884. Gerald Griffin was a novelist from Limerick. His most successful work was The Collegians (1829), which gave the world the name Myles na Coppaleen, and was adapted for the stage as the Colleen Bawn, by Boucicault. However, Griffin took…
Built in 1868, this street was Dublin’s first O’Connell Street; see the entry for Geraldine Street for the dating. The obvious origin of the name is Daniel O’Connell, The Liberator. In 1884 the Corporation embarked on what was to be a fruitless attempt to change the name of Sackville Street to O’Connell Street. At a…
A previous name for Chapter Street, it was renamed in 1869. ‘Mitre’, from a bishop’s hat and from an association with the nearby St Patrick’s Cathedral.
Originally called Mitre Alley, the name was changed to Chapter Street by the Corporation in 1869. An old street, Rocque shows it as ‘Myter Alley’. ’Chapter’ comes from the chapter or Chapter House of the adjoining St Patrick’s Cathedral. Although Chapter ‘Street’ was the official name – it’s listed as that in Thom’s from 1870…
One of five streets built off Berkeley Road in 1868; see the entry for Geraldine Street for the dating. The name is, presumably, from Oliver Goldsmith, but I can find no evidence for the choice of name; none of the names given to the streets have any connection with each other.
One of five streets built off Berkeley Road in 1868; see the entry for Geraldine Street for the dating. I can find no evidence for the choice of name; none of the names given to the streets have any connection with each other.
One of five streets built off Berkeley Road in 1868; see the entry for Geraldine Street for the dating. The name comes, presumably, from Patrick Sarsfield, of Treaty of Limerick fame.
This street, off Berkeley Street, is one of five laid out in 1868 by Arnott, Lombard, and Company. In December that year the Corporation agreed to extend the main sewer to service the street, and in August 1869 the five streets were advertised as ‘most desirable building ground’, being unrivalled for ‘health and convenience’. Arnott,…
In Ranelagh, off Merton Drive, and built in the late 1930s, the name is taken from the townland in which it is located. There are several other streets in the area with Cullenswood in their the name. It was taken in charge by the Corporation in 1939.
One of several streets in Stonybatter built by the Dublin Artisans’ Dwellings Company in the early 1900s (see the entry for Mount Temple Road). The name was proposed by the Company and derives from the Norse/Viking history of the locality. The name of this road, along with that of Mount Temple Road and Norseman Place,…
One of several streets in Stonybatter built by the Dublin Artisans’ Dwellings Company in the early 1900s (see the entry for Mount Temple Road). The name was proposed by the Company, and derives from the Norse/Viking history of the locality. The name of this road, along with that of Mount Temple Road and Olaf Road,…
One of several streets built by the Dublin Artisans’ Dwellings Company in Stonybatter, on land purchased from Lady Mount Temple, hence the name. Lady Mount Temple died in October 1901, so the purchase must have taken place earlier that year. The name of this road, along with that of Olaf Road and Norseman Place, was…
In Cabra, Quarry Road was originally called Quarry Lane, and is shown as such as early as 1837 on the first Ordnance Survey 6” map. On the map, two quarried areas are shown on the northern end of the lane. It was still called Quarry Lane in 1902, when part of the lane was renamed…
Located off Botanic Avenue, Glasnevin, Addison Place was described in 1904 as ‘a bye-lane or passage, having no formation or drainage’. The name ‘Addison’ comes from the writer and politician Joseph Addison, whose connection to the area derives from his friendship with Thomas Tickell, his literary executor. Tickell lived in Glasnevin, his home being where…
A previous (short-lived) name for Addison Road, Fairview.
A previous name for Annamoe Road and for Quarry Road.
Running from Hanlon’s Corner to Cabra Road, this road was formerly part of Quarry Lane. See the entry for Quarry Road for this. In 1902 the Corporation received a letter from Mr John Hanlon, North Circular Road, asking that the name be changed to Annamoe Road; he had just built some houses adjoining his own…
Running from O’Connell Street to Marlborough Street, down the side of the Pro-Cathedral, for which it is named, this street went by three other names previously. It appears as ‘Stable Lane’ on Rocque’s map (1756),1 but within twenty years was called ‘Elephant Lane’. There’s no evidence for the origin of that name, but we do…
A previous name for Cathedral Street, and also for the adjoining Thomas Lane.
A previous name of Dorset Lane.
The ‘street’ dates from the late 1890s, when cottages were built there by the Dublin Artisans’ Dwellings Company. The company proposed the name, the cottages being located off New Row Street. The name was approved by the Corporation in July 1900.
A laneway leading from Temple Street into Nerney’s Court, this was unnamed until 1903, when the Children’s Hospital requested that it be named St Anthony’s Place. The hospital had established a ‘night school for girls, which is known as St Anthony’s Technical Night School’ on the laneway, and felt that the location needed a suitable…
Off Summerhill, this very short lane has a convoluted history, name-wise. Listed as ‘Hutton’s Lane’ in 1833, by 1841 it was called ‘Mountjoy Place, Lower’. That name lasted until 1861, after which it reverted to ‘Hutton’s Lane’. In 1878 the Corporation decided to change the name to ‘Hutton’s Place’, no doubt because of the ‘evil…
Originally named Dispensary Lane, the street was renamed Dorset Avenue in 1902 at the request of the owner of the properties on the lane, Robert White, 1 North Frederick Street. It seems that Dispensary Lane had ‘acquired a very undesirable reputation, in consequence of which it is found impossible to induce a good class of…
Foxfield Park, off the Howth Road in Raheny, dates from the 1950s[?]. The name derives from Foxfield House, which stood on the site, and which first appears on the OS map surveyed in 1907.1 The similarly named ‘Fox Hall’ is shown on the 1837 map on the other side of the Howth Road, where Fox…
This street was built in the early 1990s on part of the Jesuits’ land in Milltown. In 1995 the Irish Independent described the new houses as ‘Perfect Home with the help of God’. I can find no reference to an ‘Abbey’ in the vicinity, so I assume the name derives from a loose association with…
Charlemont Road runs north east from the Howth Road to the Malahide road, in Clontarf. Colm Lennon identifies Charlemont Road (north and south) and Marino Avenue as different roadways but, as far as I can see, Charlemont Road as shown on the 1907 OS map, follows the line of Marino Avenue as it appears on…
Running west off the North Strand, near Newcomen Bridge, this street, according to M’Cready, dates to 1805, but, unhelpfully, he says nothing about the origin of the name. However, it’s likely named for William, Duke of Clarence, for whom the nearby Clarence Street was named. The IHTA cites it as appearing unnamed in a map…
On the North Strand, North Clarence Street is dated by M’Cready to 1796, although the IHTA’s earliest entry is from 1824. M’Cready’s explanation of the name is that it’s for William IV, who was Duke of Clarence from 1789, until he ascended the throne in 1830. That seems likely. See also the nearby North William…
Running north-west from Jones’s Road, near Croke Park, Fitzroy Avenue was laid out in the early 1900s. In April 1901 houses on the street were offered to be let at £28 per annum but the street is called Fitzroy ‘Terrace’. By the time the street was taken in charge by the Corporation in 1903, at…
Running north from Cork Street, Dublin 8, Reuben Street was developed in the early 1900s. In 1903 the houses were advertised as ‘wonderful value’ at ‘£220 each’. The street was taken in charge by the Corporation on 12 December 1904. The name presumably derives from the location of the street close to ‘Little Jerusalem’, the…
Running north west from the North Circular Road, this is one of several streets built in the early 1900s, and taken in charge by the Corporation in 1905. See the entry for Everton Avenue for details.
With an entrance on Dame Street, at the Olympia Theatre, the earliest reference to this laneway is in June 1637, when it was mentioned in the City Assembly Roll, described as ‘the way leadinge from the Custome house … to Damastrete‘. The first reference to the name appears in Shaw’s parochial survey of 1745. The…
In Cabra, one of several streets built in the early 1900s in the grounds of Everton House. There are lots of places called Doon in various parts of the country, but I think this name derives from Donegal,1 as the names of two other streets in this development are also linked to that county. See…
In Cabra. I think that this name derives from the townland of that name in Donegal,1 as the names of two other streets in this development are also linked to that county. See the entries for Ardmore Avenue and Doon Avenue.
In the same development as Everton Avenue, I think that the name of this street derives from the townland of that name in County Donegal,1 as the names of two other streets in the same development, Glenard Avenue and Doon Avenue, are also linked to Donegal. I’ve no evidence, yet, as to why the names…
Everton Avenue, off the Old Cabra Road, is one of several streets built in the early 1900s on the lands of ‘Everton House’, a fine Victorian residence that still stands. One other of the streets, Ellesmere Avenue, has a related name, ‘Everton’ being a district of Liverpool, and ‘Ellesmere’ a port on the Manchester Ship…
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Macroom Castle, County Cork, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Macroom Castle, County Cork, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Glin Castle, County Clare, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Glin Castle, County Clare, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Glin Castle, County Clare, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Ferrycarrig Castle, County Wexford, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Ferrycarrig Castle, County Wexford, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Ferrycarrig Castle, County Wexford, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Ferrycarrig Castle, County Wexford, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Glin Castle, County Clare, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Glin Castle, County Clare, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Glin Castle, County Clare, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Barryscourt Castle, County Cork, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. Since 4 October 1970, the road has been home to Coolock Library, the first branch streetsbroadandnarrow worked in. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Bunratty Castle, County Clare, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Bunratty Castle, County Clare, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Bunratty Castle, County Clare, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Adare Castle, County Limerick, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Adare Castle, County Limerick, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Adare Castle, County Limerick, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Adare Castle, County Limerick, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Greencastle, Donegal, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Greencastle, Donegal, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Greencastle, Donegal, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. See the entry for Adare Avenue for the background.
Ormond Quay was named for James Butler (1610-88), 1st Duke of Ormond, who served as Lord Lieutenant from 1677–84. For the background to the naming, see the entry for Capel Street.
Vernon Avenue runs north from the seafront to the junction with Sybil Hill, and then turns west as far as Castle Avenue. A laneway at the time, it is shown on Rocque’s map of 1760, but is not named. Taylor’s map of 1816 names it ‘Green Lane’, as does an estate map of 1823. The…
Renamed from Neagh Road. This street was originally developed as an extension to Neagh Road in 1949, when a number of private houses were built. The first houses on Neagh Road were built by the Corporation some ten years previously. In 1954 it was proposed that a plebiscite be held to ‘decide if that portion…
The name of this street was changed to Parnell Street in 1911.
Renamed from Great Britain Street. Parnell Street runs east from Capel Street to Summerhill. As far back as 1328 it was recorded as as running ‘from Oustmantown so far as Tulghan [Tolka?] by the middle way of the town of Ballyboght‘ and referred to as ‘The King’s Highway’. It is shown without a name on…
Capel Street runs south from Bolton Street to the quays. Capel Street, and the surrounding area, was developed by Humphrey Jervis, a Cromwellian immigrant, who, along with some others, bought twenty acres of land from the Corporation in 1676. One of Jervis’s supporters was Arthur Capel, Earl of Essex, who served as Lord Lieutenant from…
Marlborough Street, sometimes called ‘Great Marlborough Street’, was laid out in 1707, running north from the quays to Parnell Street. It is shown on Brooking’s Map of 1728. As M’Cready says, the name is a tribute to John Churchill, first Duke of Marlborough (1650-1722), although he gives us no reason for the tribute. Marlborough spent…
Abbey Street appears, albeit unnamed, on De Gomme’s map of 1673. By 1728, as it appears on Brookings’ map, the street was well established, running west from Marlborough Street to Capel Street. Rocque’s map of 1756 shows ‘Little Abbey Street’ running from Capel Street to Liffey Street and ‘Great Abbey Street’ running from there to…
Built on land purchased in 1925 by the Corporation from St Teresa’s Monastery, Neagh Road first appears in Thom’s in 1939 when 150 Corporation houses are recorded. The road originally ran from Melvin Road to Derravaragh Road, but by 1949 a further stretch was added, as far as Aideen Avenue, and private houses built. By…
Running west from Derravagh Road to Kimmage Road Lower, this street dates from 1949/1950. The entry in Thom’s for 1949 says that Aideen Avenue ran from ‘Kimmage Road to Mount Tallant Avenue‘, and records ‘2 to 36 & 1 to 23 Building’. The residents had moved in by 1950, when Thom’s recorded 36 householders in…
A cul-de-sac running north-west from Clareville Road, Terenure, the houses were built in the 1930s. Although the street first appears in Thom’s in 1941, with sixteen houses listed, the street seems to have existed as early as 1934, when the Irish Times reported that the Corporation had approved plans for a shed at 5 Adrian…
Running west from Annesley Bridge Road, this cul-de-sac was developed between 1897 and 1902 on a plot of land to the north of the Vitriol Works at Ballybough. The road was originally named Addison ‘street’, but on 10 November 1902, the Corporation’s Paving Committee reported: Your Committee beg to report that they have received a…
A cul-de-sac running north from Home Farm Road, this street is one of several in the area named after islands. CHECK THE MINUTES FOR THE DECISION The street is shown in outline, but unnamed, on the Ordnance Survey 6″ revised in 1907-8. It first appears in Thom’s for 1909, with six houses listed. That same…
This is a cul-de-sac, running south from Vernon Avenue, adjoining the Central Remedial Clinic. Built on part of the lands of Verville, the houses were developed in the mid-1980s, going on sale in May 1987. Built by Bovale, the houses ranged in price from IR£44,950 to IR£60,250. I can find no connection between the name…
This lane ran west from the Clontarf Road, more-or-less in line with the driveway into the Danesfort apartments. The area was subject to a compulsory purchase order, granted in 1948, and implemented in 1950.1 The land and buildings were owned by the Vernon Estate, with most leased to a Dermot McMorrough. McMorrough himself occupied a…
Running north-west from Neagh Road to Aideen Avenue, this street was originally a part of Neagh Road. In January 1934 the Corporation received a request from the residents that the name be changed to Aideen Drive.1 The Corporation agreed that a plebiscite be held, noting that the name would be ‘Céide Éadaoin’.2 In the plebiscite…
Developed in the 1960s, and named for Adare Castle, County Limerick, this is one of several streets in this development in Bonnybrook named after castles. In a report of 15 February 1965 the Council’s Coisde Cuspoiri Coiteann (General Purposes Committee) recommended: ‘That the names of the new roadways in Sections 1 and 2 of the…
A continuation of Abbey Park, the houses were built in 1987(?) and advertised for sale at €32,500.
Running from St Brigid’s Road to Middle Third, Abbeyfield is named (presumably) from Killester Abbey, which was located nearby to the west. It is one of three lots of houses built on the Killester House lands for ex-servicemen who served in the British Army in the First World War. Work on the development began in…
Running from Killester Avenue to Abbey Court, Abbey Park is named (presumably) from Killester Abbey, which was located nearby to the east, where the Killester Park houses are now. In May 1948 houses on Abbey Park were advertised for sale as ‘Attractive well-built Houses, 2 reception rooms, 3 bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom, separate w.c.‘ Prices started…