Ulster Street
One of four streets off Phibsborough Road named for the four provinces of Ireland, Ulster Street was developed in the late 1890s.
In October 1897 the Corporation’s Waterworks Committee directed that the ‘main in Ulster Street shall be extended for the purpose of supplying some new houses which have been directed there’.1
First listed in Thom’s for 1898,2 with eight ‘8 houses building’, the first houses were advertised as having ‘six apartments, bath, close range’.3 By 1900 all 16 houses were occupied.4
In 1905 the Corporation ordered that five English and five Irish name plates, be erected.5
- Irish Independent, 22 October 1897, p. 6.
- Thom’s, 1898.
- ‘Houses etc. to let’, Freeman’s Journal, 11 February 1898, p. 1.
- Thom’s, 1900.
- Reports 1905/80.
